Saturday, July 22, 2006

Cocktails and Klimt

Pain Spectrum – let's try something new and just say yellow. We might all know that I am lying a bit, but so what?
BM/RD Index – 8
Fuzz meter – 7

News Flash: the cocktail party was fun! I was able to work the room and I’m pretty sure I didn’t embarrass my K. For the record, when asked, I introduced myself as a writer and then usually winged it from there. I would talk about the novel if specially asked what I wrote. People were generally amazed to hear that I had already written a book, which surprised me. I guess I am surrounded by so many superb writers (and you all know who you are) that I had forgotten that producing copious amounts of words can be construed as a novel (heh) ability. I was also surprised at how easy it was for me to admit that I have not published, do not have an agent, and am not actively looking for one. Guess that bullshit I always spout about caring more about the writing than the publishing is actually true. Who knew? I always thought I was just scared.

The other mind-blowing surprise: the only people who asked about my disability all are ill themselves, which let to some pretty open and interesting discussions. I met people there who might eventually become friends. Proving yet again that my worst enemy is often myself: I was so scared about making some sort of mistake that I almost didn’t go, which would have been the biggest mistake of all. This is not to say that I didn’t put my foot in my mouth – I wouldn’t be my mother’s daughter if I hadn’t! (Best one - asking the one freaking couple that was NOT a couple how long they had been married for. Yeah. That was uncomfortable. And then she turned out to be in publishing. Oh well.) I just didn’t let it bother me and moved on. All in all, a very cool and eye-opening evening.

Oh – and why the Klimt? My K took me to the Neue Galerie on Friday to see an exhibit of five of Klimt’s paintings. Stunning. Beautiful. Extraordinarily sexy. This, topped off with a light meal at Café Sabarsky, Kurt Gutenbrunner’s restaurant at the museum and one of my favorite places to chill, made for quite an afternoon. I highly recommend it.

Things are getting better. I can feel it. This was a big step, and I don’t think I would have done it without you guys. Thanks again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home