Thursday, October 12, 2006

Bits

Pain Spectrum – low yellow
BM/RD Index – 16
Fuzz meter – 5


Not much to report just now. The past week was a bit out of sorts: K was home battling a bad cold/flu thing-y while simultaneously handling work, a paper, and a mid-term. As most of you probably know, I actually like spending all of my time with my husband, even if he is a coughing, sniveling mess. But his being home meant that the computer belonged to him 24/7, so there have been no posting opportunities for while. On the other hand, I did get to make some pretty-darn-good chicken noodle soup and biscuits over the long Columbus weekend.

Let’s see, what else is new? Just finished reading a FABULOUS novella, Mr. Palomar, by Italo Calvino. Proof that a work does not have to be long to be memorable. The writing (in translation) has an ethereal vibrancy that is rich in nuance and tone. Made me wish I could read Italian: I bet he sounds wonderful read out loud. The vignettes that comprise the work are nominally nothing more than the recollections and musings of an ordinary man. Yet the book is ultimately profound, and I do mean this literally: Calvino structured the book as a spiritual journey for the soul. It works. The book so inspired me, actually, that I booked K and I a trip to Italy after I read it.

That’s right, folks, we’re going to Europe! The trip is still a half a year away, but boy, am I excited. K and I have always wanted to go to Italy. We will be gone for over two weeks; it will be the first big vacation for us since the car accident. I’m using the trip as a real motivator to get my stamina and mobility back in gear. Well that, and the fact that it looks my Bro B is finally getting HIS act together and marrying his angel E sometime early-ish next year. Cue diets!

I welcome all advice on where to go and what to see. Right now we are planning to stay around the Florence, Tuscany, and Rome nexus. Already found a place that rents vintage convertibles for the touring-the-countryside part (hey, it just isn’t a vacation without a convertible involved). Have no idea where to stay. Key things on our agenda: eating, drinking, seeing tons of art and ruins, eating, drinking. It’s going to be a heck of a trip.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

EVERYTHING sounds better in Italian.

Just try looking in the mirror and repeating, "Bacia la mia portacenere," and see if you don't start to blush and go all warm and giddy.

Of course, it means, "Kiss my ashtray," but it SOUNDS really good.

1:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great advice, L&R. Very David Sedaris, circa "Me Talk Pretty".

Got to shoutout to Dan the Mountain Man for turning me on to Palomar. There's a whole story to that. Some day I'll start my on blog and tell all...

Chronic, sounds like there's a lot going in your world. As always. Mother Hen keeping all her chicks in a row.

1:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not sure I'd ever characterize Calvino as "an ordinary man".

12:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cinque Terra (sp?) is a must see!

12:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was so glad to hear about your trip. I think it will be amazing. What ever you do in Italy it will be fantastico! Just watching the sun rise and set over the beautiful scenery is breathtaking.

I just wanted to also make a note about your last entry. As one of your family members, I want to thank you for opening your home for the holidays. It means so much to me personally to be with family and share. As you know, my very immediate family is every where and it isn't something I really get to do with them. So sharing the holidays with you meant so much to me. Thanks to you and K.

9:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home